Buying your home is a big commitment which needs careful thought and attention to detail. Whether you are a first time buyer of a 'veteran' seller or buyer, we can help you! Moving home is not just about getting the keys. You will need practical advice and support.
Moving home is not something that most purchasers are used to doing every day - in fact on average most to not move less than every 5 years. Careful planning and checklists could come in handy when trying to remember all those loose ends.
- Decide if you are using a removals company or doing it yourself (weigh up the costs vs benefits).
- Check your contents insurance policy for cover of goods in transit.
- Check the removal companies insurance cover.
- Book well in advance - at least two weeks and confirm with an email or letter.
- Organise the supply of packing boxes.
- Arrange professional disconnection of gas or electric appliances.
- Arrange meter readings for the house you are leaving on the day of the move and the house you are moving into on the day you move in. Give at least 48 hours notice.
- Check if you can take your telephone number with you (if necessary).
- Check with banks and building societies for direct debits/standing orders.
- Cancel deliveries of paper, milk etc.
- Organise post redirection
- Try to run down on stocks in the freezer.
- Make sure contracts are exchanged/completed before you start to notify people of new address.
- Make sure all boxes are labelled up, this helps your removers and you.
- Pack items you don't use often first.
- Make sure you label the box holding the kettle/tea/coffee and have this ready in the kitchen at the house you are moving in to.
- On the day of the move make sure all utilities ie gas, water and electrics are turned off and note the meter readings.
- If you have young children make sure they have something to do and somewhere safe to stay while you move.
For more information about buying or moving to an established property please contact our Residential team on 020 8954 0044 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are buying a newly built home then feel free to contact our New Homes team on 020 8954 8626 or email email@example.com for more information.